A fire broke out in midnight on Thursday in the state’s biggest Sawai Mansingh hospital in Jaipur. A woman patient Baba Devi, resident of Karauli died due to the suffocation.
As per the reports, the fire started around 3 am on early Friday from a laundry room behind the oncology department of the hospital and soon engulfed the medical lifeline shop.
The hospital administration immediately informed the fire department officials. Soon fire tenders from different fire stations rushed to the hospital. By the time they reached the spot, a large portion of the ground floor was flooded in smoke. This blocked the areas where the fire flames were highest due to which the firefighters had to break the glass of window doors to extinguish the fire. The fire had spread even to the second floor of the hospital, however, it was controlled before it could spread further.
Nearly 12 ambulances were pressed into service. It took them nearly three hours to control the fire. The cause of the fire is believed to be a shot-circuit
The smoke caused panic among patients and they tried to run for safety. Senior hospital administration officials also arrived at the spot. Civil defense teams and hospital administration shifted the trapped patients to other wards which were safe from the fire. A woman died of suffocation during the shifting. The reason for death is yet to be confirmed officially.