An outbreak of a virus named H3N2 is increasing rapidly in Rajasthan as well as all over the country. Most of children and the elderly are coming in the grip of this virus. It is taking 10 to 12 days to recover.
Rise in viral fever cases began a couple of weeks ago.
The virus belongs to the flu category, but its effects are severe like covid, damaging the lungs with fever. It is a matter of concern that two people have died due to this virus in Karnataka and Haryana.
Fever lasts for 6-7 days
There is a spurt in cases of viral fevers with every fourth person is suffering from H3N2, adenovirus or parainfluenza virus, upper respiratory tract infection and general weakness. After the high fever of the patient, the complaint of prolonged cough is increasing.
These viruses become active with the change in weather and are spreading rapidly. This fever usually lasts for 3-4 days, but in some cases the fever is not getting cured even in 6-7 days. The cough is very strong and it is taking 10 to 12 days to get cured.
Pneumonia is becoming a condition in many patients
As per the doctors, some patients are getting infected with H3N2 virus and infection is spreading in the lungs. Due to this, the condition of getting pneumonia is also being created. Often in elderly or small children, when the case worsens, there is also a need to admit them to the hospital. No specific investigation regarding this virus is being done in the state. It is a matter of relief that so far no death has been registered in the state.
What is the H3N2 virus after all?
The H3N2 virus is a type of influenza virus called influenza A virus. It is a respiratory related viral infection which causes diseases every year. Influenza A is a subtype of virus that was discovered in 1968.
In how many days does the fever subside?
The Indian Medical Association (IMA) believes that the symptoms of infection can persist for five to seven days. The fever caused by H3N2 subsides in three days. But the cough persists for more than three weeks.
These are the symptoms
- The patient has a high fever for 3-5 days along with a runny nose.
- Complaints like pain or irritation in the throat with a strong cough.
- Headache, Body pain and shivering.
- Loose motions or vomiting
- Shortness of breath after coughing.
- Fatigue with weakness in the body
Take these precautions to avoid H3N2 virus
- It is necessary to wear a mask outside the house and avoid crowded places. This disease also spreads through droplets. The way people wear masks to avoid covid, it is very good to wear masks in the same way.
- Maintain good hygiene. If you are not wearing a mask, keep your hands clean from time to time i.e. use soap or sanitizer.
- Stay away from the person who is coughing, sneezing or ask to cover their mouth while coughing. Isolate yourself if symptoms are detected, otherwise many people can get infected.
- Patients suffering from comorbidity i.e. other diseases (blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, heart patients, kidney failure and others) should take more care to avoid infection.
- Keep yourself hydrated, keep drinking liquids.
- Get flu shots to protect against the influenza virus.
- If you experience any difficulty in breathing, oxygen level is less than 93, pain and feeling of pressure in the chest and abdomen, excessive vomiting, high fever and cough repeat even after recovery. So without delay visit the hospital.
Most important advice
Often many patients are trying to recover by taking common antibiotics (azithromycin, amoxiclav or other medicines) by going to medical stores without showing them to doctors. In such a situation, patients should avoid self-use of antibiotics, because the line of treatment is different in many of these viruses. Visit a doctor immediately when you have fever, cold and cough or headache. After seeing the doctor and getting the test done, take only those medicines which the doctor has prescribed.