There will no longer be a need to stand in long lines on the highway. Now the highways coming out of Rajasthan are going to be hi-tech soon. ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Reader) system is going to be implemented on these soon.
Actually, the Union Road Transport Ministry is coming up with a new concept. The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) is building a green field expressway in Rajasthan, where there will be no toll booth.
The biggest advantage of this will be that the owner will not have to worry about paying the full toll for a 5 km journey. They will have to pay the same amount as he has driven on the highway. It will start from the Green Field Expressway passing through Rajasthan.
Largest dedicated expressway will be in Rajasthan
This greenfield expressway starting from Amritsar in Punjab to Jamnagar in Gujarat will connect with Rajasthan. It will also have connectivity to the ports of Punjab, Haryana and Arabian Sea.
The total length of this greenfield expressway being built under Bharat Mala Project is 637 km in Rajasthan, while the total length of this entire project in Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and Gujarat is 1,224 km. After the completion of this project, it will become the largest dedicated expressway of Rajasthan. The special thing is that there are very few curves and turns on this expressway.
This is ANPR system
- Entry-exit points will be made at certain locations on this expressway. However, the location and the distance at which these points will be made is not decided yet.
- Entry and exit of vehicles will be done from these points.
- High resolution cameras and number plate readers will be installed at these points
- Once the vehicle is entered, the number plate will be traced and the details will reach the Central Command Center.
- The vehicle exit will also be from the designated point, on exiting there will be a number plate scan here too.
- After calculating the distance of entry and exit points, money will be deducted from the account.
Now the vehicle’s number plate will be scanned
How the money will be deducted
At present, money is deducted from FASTag at toll. Before deduction, the FASTag is scanned. But, in the new system, the number plate will be scanned and the money will be deducted from FASTag only. This way, your fastag will act as a wallet.
This will be the cost
At present, the recovery on all tolls is being done at the rate of 1.10 paise to 1.70 paise per kilometer. It is not decided how much rupees will be paid per kilometer in the new system. But, experts believe that the current per kilometer amount could be the base price.
This will be the benefit
At present the toll company is collecting the full amount. You have to pay full charges even if you travel only 5 kilometers after paying the toll. But, In the new system, you will pay only the amount you have driven on the highway.
Green field expressway will be in this way
- Project Length – 1224 KM. (Amritsar to Jamnagar)
- Length in rajasthan – 637 KM (Sangaria Hanumangarh to Santhalpur Jalore)
- Project cost – around 14,000 (in Rajasthan)
- Will be constructed in these districts – Hanumangarh, Bikaner, Jodhpur, Barmer and Jalore.
- Work completion time – September 2023