Centre’s move on scrapping Article 370 through constitution grants special status to Jammu and Kashmir. Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh will now be the union territories.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led NDA government announced this massive news on Monday. The country is now celebrating the independent in true sense. The announcement was made by Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha amid uproar by opposition parties. The move would come into force once through a decree signed by President Ram Nath Kovind.
Reacting to this, former J&K chief minister and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chief Mehbooba Mufti tweeted “Today marks the darkest day in Indian democracy. Unilateral decision of GOI to scrap Article 370 is illegal & unconstitutional which will make India an occupational force in J&K.”
The end of Article 370 means people from other states can now buy land in Jammu and Kashmir and the Right to Information law will be applicable there from now on. In a decision with huge implications, a separate bill bifurcated the state into two union territories, Jammu and Kashmir with an assembly like Delhi, and Ladakh without an assembly.
This announcement will change things in the following ways:
- Centre laws: Earlier, the center had to get the state legislature’s approval for introducing any draft or enact laws into the state. Jammu and Kashmir enjoyed rights to decide on its own on all matters. Those special powers are gone. National laws will automatically apply to them as well.
- Citizenship: Residents of Jammu and Kashmir enjoyed dual citizenship, which they would lose if they married people from other states. There will be no dual citizenship now.
- Same flag: Earlier J&K was having its own flag along with the national flag. There will be no separate flag for Jammu and Kashmir now. It will come under the national tricolor flag.
- Right to buy property: Earlier people from outside J&K were not allowed to buy property in their territory. With the end of Article 370 people from outside the J&K can also settle there buying a property of their own.
- Earlier, the move would require “war or an external act of aggression. Article 360 allows the center to declare financial emergency in any state, will apply to Jammu and Kashmir.
- There can be a reservation for minorities in the state now.
- Earlier, the Right to Information (RTI) Act was not applicable to Jammu and Kashmir. That has changed.
Jaipur Stuff website is aiming to provide all Jaipur information here on this site. Find Jaipur News, things to do in Jaipur, days out in Jaipur, Jaipur attractions and sightseeing, what’s on, shopping, handicrafts, Jewellery, Stones, Jaipur events, tours, restaurants and hotels in Jaipur. Explore Jaipur with useful information and Jaipur NEWS.